SMD - The Law Offices of Sondra M. Douglas, LLC

FAQ's - The Law Offices of Sondra M. Douglas, LLC Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

The Law Offices of Sondra M. Douglas, LLC

Click here for FAQs about Family Law

FAQs about Personal Injury

When will I receive payment?

Once you have finished medical treatment we will collect all medical records and bills from your treating physician and create what is called a “demand packet”. The demand packet is forwarded to the at fault insurance company who will evaluate your claim. Once your case has been evaluated the adjuster will contact our office to discuss your case and may relay an offer. If and when we are able to negotiate an acceptable settlement, payment will be mailed.

How long does the process take?

Once the demand packet has been mailed to the at fault insurance company it usually takes the adjuster approximately thirty days to contact our office to discuss the settlement of your case.

What happens if I disagree with the proposed settlement?

If the settlement offer is not acceptable to you we will discuss the possibility of filing a lawsuit in the jurisdiction of the appropriate court.

What happens when a lawsuit is filed and how long does that process take?

Once we have rejected the offer and all negotiation attempts have become unsuccessful our office will file a complaint in the court of appropriate jurisdiction. The amount of time it takes for your case to be heard by the court from the time a complaint is filed depends on several factors, some of which include: the courts availability, the time it takes the defendant to be served, and the time it takes to complete the discovery process (a process where attorneys obtain information about the case).

What is PIP?

PIP is an acronym for Personal Injury Protection. This is an elected amount of funds that policy holder may use for loss wages or medical expenses incurred as a result of seeking medical treatment.

What happens if I don’t have PIP or my PIP is exhausted?

If you have “waived” your PIP or your PIP is exhausted, your medical expenses may have to be paid with the funds from your settlement.

What about the property damage to my vehicle?

Our office will represent you on the personal injuries that you have suffered. If you have property damage to your vehicle you may contact the at fault insurance company to request a rental car and/or make arrangements with them to assess the property damage. Remember, do NOT discuss facts of the case.

What is the settlement I will receive?

When computing a settlement amount, the at fault adjuster will consider the amount of your medical bills, loss wages, property damage and other factors.

When should I contact your office?

Any time you have a question or to notify us that you have completed medical treatment.

What should I do after I have been involved in an accident?

  1. Seek immediate medical.
  2. Call the police to have a police report taken.
  3. Make sure you have the insurance information of all parties involved.
  4. 4. Call your insurance company only. DO NOT call the at fault drivers insurance as anything you say may be used against.
  5. Contact our office so that we may assist you further.

FAQs about Family Law:

What can I do to stop the parent of my child(ren) from taking them with out my permission?

Unless custody is established by a court order there is nothing that prevents the other parent from visiting with the child(ren) or even keeping them overnight.

What should I do if there is no court order and the other parent has taken my child(ren) and refuses to return them?

- There are several options that we can explore if this is a situation that you are faced with including filing an emergency petition. Please contact our office immediately if you believe your chid(ren) are in imminent danger.

My child support is too high and I can not afford it, what can I do?

If you are unable to afford the child support that has been ordered by the court a modification of the court order is an option we can explore after we have assessed the change in circumstances that may have occurred.

I am still living with my spouse and want to get a divorce what should I do?

If you are still living with your spouse and want a divorce there are options to obtaining a legal separation, during our consultation we will explore all your alternatives to obtaining a divorce.

How does the court determine who will have custody of the children?

The court looks at several factors when determine which parent should be awarded custody. The court is most importantly going to make a finding that is in the best interest of the child(ren).

My child(ren)’s parent owe so much in child support, how will I ever be able to collect the arrears?

There are options that we can explore including requesting a show cause hearing in an effort to obtain back child support as well seeking opposing a parents most recent income information.

How long does it take to get a divorce?

There are several factors that effect the time it takes to obtain a divorce such as:

Whether or not the divorce is contested or uncontested, how long the parties have been separated (in most cases, 1 year is required but some exceptions do apply), and the amount of cases on the courts docket.

FAQs about Personal Injury - Baltimore, Maryland

FAQs about Personal Injury - Towson, Maryland

FAQs about Family Law  - Maryland